Senator James Paterson – Media Advisor (Electorate Officer B)
Senator James Paterson
Chair, Parliamentary Joint Committee on Intelligence and Security
Liberal Senator for Victoria
Applications are invited for the position of Media Advisor based in Melbourne or Canberra. This position is suited to a highly motivated self-starter with expertise in media and communications. Professional experience or academic qualifications in national security policy is highly valued.
As Senator Paterson’s media advisor you will work closely with the Senator to manage all aspects of the communications strategy including national media, social media, drafting opinion pieces and speeches, managing public appearances and committee hearings, co-ordinating events and managing the Senator’s website and newsletter communications.
- Work with the Senator to plan and execute a comprehensive media and communications strategy
- Develop a strong network and database of media contacts to co-ordinate the Senator’s media appearances and profile
- Pitch and develop content for Facebook, Instagram, Mailchimp, and Website
- Track, record, and maximise the Senator’s media presence by transcribing interviews, preparing and distributing media releases, updating the website, sending e-Newsletters, taking photos for social media
- Briefing the Senator for electorate events
- Local and national media monitoring and tracking
- Work with other team members to identify media opportunities for the Senator relating to his committee work and local patron seats
- Conduct research on request and proactively for the Senator
- Draft opinion pieces, speeches and talking points
- Accompanying the Senator to Canberra for sitting weeks and interstate for Committee hearings where required
Skills and experience:
- A sophisticated understanding of Australia’s media and political landscape
- Demonstrated expertise and interest in National Security policy and communications
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills
- Proven relationship building, stakeholder management and interpersonal skills
- An agile and flexible approach with a willingness to take initiative, upskill, and innovate
- Highly organised with ability to work independently and proactively within a cohesive team
- Knowledge of the Adobe Suite and other design tools including Photoshop and InDesign
- Comfortable in the digital media space including photography, videography, photo and video editing, captioning, website maintenance
- An acute eye for detail
- Ability to handle a wide variety of tasks and work on multiple projects simultaneously
- An understanding of the Australian system of government and parliamentary processes
- An appreciation of the Senator’s political philosophy
The position is offered under the Members of Parliament (Staff) Act 1984 and conditions are outlined in the Commonwealth Members of Parliament Staff Enterprise Agreement 2016-2019.
A commencing salary of between $66,745 and $77,926 is payable plus 15.4% superannuation and an overtime allowance of up to $12,091 in recognition of long and unusual hours.
A probationary period of three months will apply.
Applications with a one page cover letter, CV and the names and contact details of two professional referees should be forwarded to [email protected]
Applications close on Friday 26 February.
For further information please contact Sophie McKendry on 0451 007 915