News

|

Community Safety

Few visas cancelled despite rise in anti-Semitic acts

January 8, 2025

Wednesday 08 January 2025
Jade Gailberger
The Courier Mail


 Australia has cancelled fewer than five visas for anti-Semitic conduct since  Hamas' October 7 terror attack in 2023, new figures reveal.
 
 The Coalition has lashed the Albanese government's response, amid an alarming  surge in anti-Semitic attacks in Melbourne and Sydney, after making repeated  calls for anyone spewing hate speech to have their visa ripped up based on  unfit character grounds.
 
 Opposition home affairs spokesman James Paterson said despite Home Affairs  Minister Tony Burke's tough talk on the issue, "his visa cancellation  pen remains firmly in his desk".
 
 "It's frankly not credible that as few as one or two visa holders have  engaged in anti-Semitic incitement since 7 October given the shocking scenes  we have seen in our cities every weekend for 15 months," Senator  Paterson said.
 
 "If Tony Burke doesn't have the stomach to make tough decisions in the  national interest to protect Australians he should step aside for a Minister  for Home Affairs who is."
 
 A Home Affairs Department spokesman said less than five visa cancellations  related to anti-Semitic rhetoric or conduct between October 7, 2023 and  December 31, 2024.
 
 "Of those cancelled, none of those are currently onshore in  Australia," he said.
 
 Mr Burke was contacted for comment.
 
 Jewish groups last month demanded that Mr Burke explain why Israelis wanting  to visit Australia were being required to provide details about their  military services, raising concerns it was leading to delays and the  rejection of visa applications.
 
 The Executive Council of Australian Jewry has also questioned why an Islamic  teacher, who publicly shared his heartbreak over the death of Hezbollah  leader Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah on social media, was allowed into the country  for a four-day workshop in July.

Recent News

All Posts