News

|

Community Safety

Home Affairs launch hiring spree to monitor detainees

December 6, 2024

Friday 06 December 2024
Rhiannon Down
The Australian


 The Albanese government is embarking on a hiring spree, recruiting public  servants to monitor freed immigration detainees, as the Coalition criticises  Labor for failing to make a single application under its preventive detention  laws in a year.
 
 The Department of Home Affairs advertised multiple positions to work in  Operation Aegis, which oversees the cohort of detainees released following  the NZYQ High Court decision.
 
 Following the landmark ruling which triggered the release of about 150  dangerous non-citizens on bridging visas, former Home Affairs Minister Clare  O'Neil rushed laws through the parliament that empowered the courts to order  the detention of the most serious offenders. Ms O'Neil also implemented a  framework to impose electronic monitoring and curfew conditions on the  cohort, which were last month found to be unconstitutional in a separate High  Court challenge, known as YBFZ. Legislation allowing the monitoring of  detainees to resume was passed as part of a trio of migration bills in the final  sitting week of the year.
 
 The number of NZYQ detainees in the community had risen to 248, the latest  Community Protection Board report reveals, with 24 wearing ankle monitors and  18 subject to a curfew after the nation's highest court struck down the  surveillance powers.
 
 One year to the day since Labor's preventive detention regime passed the  parliament, opposition home affairs spokesman James Paterson accused the  government of overseeing a "shocking failure" for community safety.
 
 "Under these laws, the Minister for Home Affairs must apply to the court  for a community safety detention order or community safety supervision  order," Senator Paterson said. "But 12 months on, neither the  former ministers Clare O'Neil and Andrew Giles, or the current minister Tony  Burke, have lodged a single application.
 
 "This is despite the high recidivism of the NZYQ cohort, which has seen  at least 65 individuals reoffend since their release."
 
 After he struck a deal with the Coalition to pass measures allowing the  removal of non-citizens to a third country under a paid agreement, Home  Affairs and Immigration Minister Tony Burke said his preference was to deport  the former detainees.
 
 "I have been clear that the best option for these people is to get them  out of the country and we're pursuing that," Mr Burke said.
 
 "The preventive detention regime is modelled on a Coalition era policy  for terrorism offenders which took three years to make its first  application." Home Affairs advertised multiple roles across different  locations last week, outlining that the positions would involve successful  applicants enforcing "critical compliance measures related to the  Bridging (Removal Pending) visa cohort".
 
 Under the joint operation between Australian Border Force and the Australian  Federal Police, recruits will also oversee "community supervision orders  that mandate strict behaviour and reporting protocols".
 
 "Working in Operation Aegis, you will play a critical role in ensuring  the security and safety of Australia's borders through compliance and  enforcement activities," the ad states.
 
 "Operation Aegis works closely with law enforcement partners, including  the Australian Federal Police, to monitor and enforce visa and community  safety conditions for individuals under the Bridging (Removal Pending) visa.
 
 "Your work will be essential in achieving goals and ensuring operational  effectiveness in this high-impact role."

Recent News

All Posts