December 10, 2024
Counter-terrorism detectives are hunting three suspects all considered flight risks over Friday's arson attack on the Adass Israel Synagogue in Melbourne's inner southeast.
Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Shane Patton on Monday day announced that a joint team of elite officers from the state's force, Australia's intelligence agency ASIO and the Australian Federal Police were hunting the culprits.
"We have had a terrorist attack on that synagogue," Mr Patton said.
"What concerns me is the callous nature of this attack, the involved nature of this attack, and the fact that the attack has taken place where it occurred.
"It's quite clear it was targeted. It was callous and an horrific attack on the synagogue, but by default, it's an attack on the Jewish people. When you have a crime like this that strikes at the fabric of the community, that is very, very concerning to us.
"Victoria Police and I personally condemn the callous and horrific attack, the targeted attack that occurred on that day," he said.
Mr Patton revealed the special team of officers from the three agencies had been established following Victoria Police's meetings with federal authorities earlier on Monday.
He would not be drawn on the three suspects' identities, but said they were considered flight risks.
He would not confirm if the suspected arsonists were known to police, or whether they were carrying guns during the firebombing.
Investigators have also not ruled out foreign interference in the arson.
"We haven't ruled anything out whatsoever, and the investigation will be comprehensive and make sure that we look at all avenues," Mr Patton said.
When asked why the arson was not officially ruled to be an act of terrorism until Monday, Mr Patton said it had been too early to determine the nature of the attack during initial investigations.
"We've gained intelligence and evidence, and as a result of that ... we're here now saying we are treating this as a terrorist attack," he said.
Mr Patton said there was no evidence to suggest that a .22 calibre bullet found after the blaze was linked to the arson.
Police did not have any intelligence that could have predicted the synagogue was going to be torched, he added.
Premier Jacinta Allan had repeatedly refused to declare the firebombing an act t of terrorism ahead of f Monday's police press s conference, only reiterating on Monday y morning that it was s "designed to strike terror" into the community.
That was despite e Prime Minister r Anthony Albanese e having finally described it as terrorism m on Sunday.
After Mr Patton's s address however, Ms s Allan said: "We're e here today as a consequence of one e of the most evil acts s we've seen, one of the most evil acts (of anti-Semitism) and now, as has been determined by the policing agencies, a likely act of terrorism."
"Our thoughts again today must be with the Jewish community here in Melbourne ... and indeed across Australia," Ms Allan added.
"It is incredibly distressing to see that since that terrorist invasion by Hamas on October 7, we have seen communities here in Melbourne, around the country, around the globe, feel less safe, feel less secure," she said.
"We have seen a terrible increase in the number of acts of anti-Semitism that we have seen here in the city and state, evil acts that have no place here.
"We cannot let this conflict overseas continue to be a cloak for behaviour like that."
Ms Allan, who faced some criticism for not attending a vigil held at the synagogue on Sunday, last week pledged $100,000 to help rebuild it.
AFP Deputy Commissioner Krissy Barrett said the fire appeared to be "politically motivated". "We will not tolerate crimes that undermine Australia's security or our way of life," she said.
"Do not test the resolve or determination of the AFP or our policing and intelligence partners. We will not tolerate crimes that undermine Australia's security or t our o way of life."
In a statement, the Jewish Community J Council of Victoria C called on police to c "expedite" their in- " vestigation. v "We are shocked and hurting, but we a must show strength m and continue living a proud Jewish lives," p the t council said.
"We extend our appreciation to Victoria p Police and other law P enforcement agencies e for f their efforts so far.
"We urge them to expedite their investi- e gation and arrest the three suspects to protect our community.
"The past few days have been traumatic and exhausting for many."
Police patrols with dozens of extra officers will be ramped up at synagogues and surrounding streets across Melbourne's southeast.
Victorian Liberal senator James Paterson demanded stronger consequences for anti-Semitism.
Visiting the scorched synagogue for the third time in four days, Mr Paterson said Jewish communities welcomed the Albanese government's announcement of $32.5m in funding for increased security at community sites, but they wanted stronger enforcement of the law.
"Some people are very proud and defiant and ready to stand up, but others have a lot of fear and are questioning whether Australia is a safe place for them anymore," he said.
Separately, state Opposition Leader John Pesutto has written to Ms Allan demanding that the Victorian parliament be recalled next week for a special sitting to rush through legislation in the wake of Friday's terrorist attack.
On Monday, Mr Pesutto said he backed the Allan government's promise on Sunday night to consider new laws to protect places of worship from protests potentially creating exclusion zones.
He also said police needed stronger move-on powers, adding it was not enough to "just pay lip service".
"Let's get the job done urgently," Mr Pesutto said.
State parliament sat in late November for the last scheduled time this year. It is not due to meet again until February.
Asked if the government would be prepared for parliament to return next week, a spokeswoman said: "We will consult to ensure these laws are appropriate and fit for purpose."